It's finally summer, the weather is friendly and inviting. It's time to enjoy the great outdoors. As you walk in your garden, you notice something else has come out to play: Hornets.
Do they sting, and how do you treat a hornet sting at home? Yes. A hornet sting is much more powerful than an insect sting, wasp sting, bee sting, or the sting of any stinging insect. Hornet venom contains a large amount of potent pain stimulant called acetylcholine, making stings a lot painful and, not to mention, lethal. If you happen to find yourself in this situation, here's exactly what to do and how to treat the sting or any allergic reaction.
Most of the time, an insect attack will make you panic and lose sight of what's happening. If you weren’t able to see the insect that stung you, you would have to identify it by the mark it has left on your skin. If you see a red, throbbing welt, as well as a small white mark in the center of the wound, it’s possibly from a hornet.
Often, people confuse honey bee or wasp stings as hornet stings, but another clear indication is when there’s no stinger in sight. When hornets sting, their stinger will remain attached to their bodies. With bees, you'll usually find the stinger itself still intact in your skin. If you see a stinger, you were probably stung by a bee, and you should remove it as quickly as possible to avoid at least some of the venom sac from entering your body.
Learning how to identify a sting and whether there’s a venom sac is the best way to know if you can treat the bite at home or if you need to seek immediate medical attention.
Learn More: Hornets Vs Bees
If you’ve confirmed that the sting is from a hornet, you’ll probably suffer no more than localized swelling, and the pain should recede within several hours. However, if the sting causes a more serious reaction, you might be experiencing a venom allergy.
Here are some of the insect sting allergy symptoms you should look out for:
Anaphylaxis (the term used to describe a severe systemic allergic reaction) can happen quickly and can be fatal in a short amount of time, so make sure to take first aid measures and contact a medical professional immediately. To prevent venom allergy, keep a packet of antihistamines in your pocket, wear protective clothing, and use insect repellent if you plan to stay outdoors. When gardening, always use gloves. Moreover, bites and stings can happen when you have bare feet, so wear shoes, even inside your home.
Understanding what to do in case of an insect bite can save a life, so it's an excellent idea to learn first aid basics. When stung by a hornet, immediately perform these measures:
If an anaphylactic reaction or anaphylactic shock occurs, immediately seek medical help. Medical professionals may perform any of the following:
The doctor may require you to take a blood test if you have multiple stings, even if there's no sign of a severe allergic reaction. Extended observation in the emergency department can also be necessary for the worst cases.
Even if you’ve been stung by hornets before and haven’t had a systemic reaction, it doesn't necessarily mean that you’ll develop venom immunotherapy to hornet venom, as well as insect venom, wasp venom, and bee venom. This is why it's always important to watch out for any wasp nest. Keep in mind that these pests will stay unbothered unless their perceived enemy chooses to disturb their nest. Yellow jacket sting and fire ant sting most often trigger allergic reactions, so be more careful with them.
The best way to prevent hornets or any flying insect from entering your home is by removing potential lures. Here's how:
Discover why calling a professional pest control specialist is the smarter, safer, and cost-effective choice rather than trying to eradicate the infestation all by yourself.
Contact Positive Pest Management today to learn more about our pest control services.